List filtering based on different user characteristics

Hi,

I’m looking to see if the following is possible in Adalo, and if so, how:

My users table has several properties for each user (e.g., Own a house (Yes/No), Own a Car (Yes/No), Age etc.)

I have another collection called goals, which includes records like (Sell your house, Renovate your house, Buy a Car, Maintain your Car etc.)

I want to use the deck slider to filter for only the list of goals that are relevant to each user based on a predefined set of rules. For example:

• If a user has a car, then I want to show “maintain your car” in the deck slider; if they don’t, I don’t want it to appear
  • If a user has a house, then I want to show “sell your house” in the deck slider; if they don’t, I don’t want it to appear etc.

I understand that the deck slider can be used to add filters for the list it references. I’m just looking for help on how to make that list specific to each user, based on different characteristics each user has.

Thanks!
Hussain

Hi @Hussain ,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you referring to image slider or deck swiper ?

Fortunately both are lists.

Since they are list, they can be filtered like any other list, so if you have exercise with filtering with custom list, you should do the same with these.

Assuming you have created relationships in your database.

Hi @Yongki.

I am using the deck swiper, not the image slider.
I think my challenge is less the filtering, and more the database relationship perhaps.

I have 2 tables for this purpose:

1. Users (Properties > Name, Place of Birth, Age, Own a House, Own a Car etc.)
  2. Goals (Properties > Name, True / False)

I would need the True / False value to change for each user so I can present only the goals that make sense for a user. As noted in the example above, If a person does not own a car, I don’t want to show “Maintain your car” as a goal.

It’s unclear to me how I can link the properties in the User collection, with the True / False for each specific goal record in the Goals collection. Can this even be done?

Thanks!

Hi @Hussain

Take a look at this cloneable app

Hi @Yongki,

Thank you so much sharing this! Appreciate you taking the time to mock this up.
I noticed that the dropdown menu itself is visible based on the input from the toggle.

Is it possible to make certain properties in collection conditionally visible instead?

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi @Hussain ,

You’re welcome.

Yes, you can do that, visibility has a lot of power, especially combined with count and filter. :grinning:

Thanks @Yongki
Still struggling with this. Any chance you can share an example?

What is that you want to achieve ?

It will help if you simulate it in spreadsheet, as it is universal language to explain logic. :grinning:

For sure! I have an excel sheet I can share. I can’t seem to update it on here.
Let me know if there is an email I can send it to :slight_smile:

If it is not confidential, or you can make it unconfidential,

You can put screenshots here, so everyone can benefit if they have the same issue.

But if you insist to make it private, I respect that option.

For sure. Attached is a screen shot of the example.

• Table 1 is a list of users
  • Table 2 is a list of all goals
  • Table 3 is a list of user specific goals that I want to create based on logic in cells D14:D17

My question is how I can create this table based on the logic I’ve shown in excel

Okay, I will need more time to digest.

As I am fighting my own issue. :grinning:

Hi @Hussain ,

I have updated the cloneable app, this is very different.

Basically what I did is binary total and filter, so you can fill the goal with whatever you want by duplicating status total.

Previously I use toggle as only 2 parameters, now there are 3 parameters.

Why we are doing workaround like this, it because filter only making it smaller set, which is known as AND, while what you want is OR, expand the set.

Play around with binary total. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks @Yongki!

This is great. I’m going to use this method to apply to my app. Will keep you posted.

1 Like

cool.

Great to hear.