Triggering creation of data structures

We are wondering if we have hit a complexity point in Adalo, since we are stumped in how to achieve what might best be described as “cascading databases set-up”.

Here’s our objective - we are trying to create an app that collects data from people in the context of their experience participating in an event. We have a set of stock “questions” for which we want to collect answers. But obviously, we need to collect answers within the context of one event.

So - what we need is to be able to create a new event in the database, and have that creation trigger the creation of empty tables in the database to collect answers to our questions for that event. The questions are standard across all events…

Right now, we’ve gotten as far as creating a new answer table for one question, but you have to use that question’s activity to create the next question’s database. We don’t want that - we need spontaneity, the ability for an event admin to say “OK, so now go to question 3 and answer the question”, followed by “OK, so now go to question 8 and answer the question”.

Anyone have thoughts on how I can simply trigger what might essentially trigger the creation of all the database tables I need to hold answers to all of the questions in a single or very few efforts in an app?

Hi @tkasenberg ,

I don’t think you need this kind of activity to solve your issue. Currently any no-code tools have difficulty to do this, and the complexity it brings can offset to just use code solution.

Back to your issue, you need to record answers from attendee of the event and it needs to be sequential, new question come up after answering.

If that is the case, here are my suggestions:

1. Have questions master collection which contain all of the questions, this could be linked to event collection or not, depending your scenario to ask questions
  2. Have events collection, this is obvious, so we can reference here from answers collections
  3. Have answers collection that is generated (created in batch process) from questions master collection by events and by attendees
  4. Have screen that move in sequential to next question, by simply adding counter in filter of the list

More info will need to be investigated to come up with more detailed approach.

For analyzing answers, you can check my post here.

To clarify – it is actually that it must not be sequential. There are a range of questions that can get answered, and they could be called upon at any time by the leader of the meeting – so it is not like completing one predicts which one comes next, they all need to be available next.

You can design questions tree then, which one goes to where, how many of them, what is next after something and so on.

After that, we can examine how to design database setup.

We have all that done. We have wireframes, we have the questions identified which collect data in the manner desired. We ideally would like the solution to make it possible, during a single event, to offer the opportunity to answer more than one instance of the same question, as well as allow for 13 different questions (or question types). We just are trying to leave it spontaneous – the event leader can say “fill out your answer to question 3”, then “let’s try getting an answer to question 9”, and then, if so desired, go back and say “let’s have another go at question 3 again” (and this time, it’s a new instance, not editing the former one).

There is no sequence to what the event leader could ask… they can choose spontaneously any of the questions (or question templates) at any time… so not “what is next” in our model, because that can be determined at moment of need.

If you don’t need constraint about what is next, then you can present list of questions when clicked always create new answer and after that present list of questions again.

You can create as many answers as you want, because list of questions is there for trigger.

Hi,

I think the other answer provided is a bit confusing.

As long as the questions are standardized, you don’t need to prepopulate anything. Here’s a video walkthrough of how I’d do it. It should be pretty easy unless I’m missing something.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.