Users with same First Name/Last Name

Hi!
So on my Sign Up page users can insert their First/Last Names, a username, a phone number and a password. So their username and the phone number have to be unique, but their First/Last Name shouldn’t have to be. But now when a user has the name “John Doe” a user can’t sign up with the name “Jane Doe” and they get an error message. How can I let the Database have the same name for multiple times? Thank you!

Hi Florian,

This shouldn’t be the case, as the only thing which is checked for uniqueness is User Email (as far as I know).

Could you please provide more info - screenshots from the form set up, error message, or (best thing) a small video showcasing the problem?

Best regards, Victor.

Thank you for your response!
That makes sense, because the error message says: User email already exists.

About the form: I made it myself, so I created Text Inputs that I connected to the Sign Up Button.
I also don’t have an input for the User’s Email.

Best regards, Florian

I still haven’t found a solution for this problem and I would really need one… Does anybody have any ideas?
Best regards,
Florian

Hi @Florian,

So how do you sign up the user then?
How do you fill in the fields (what is written in the action)?
And, most important, where is the error message?

All this is needed to diagnose the problem and provide any meaningful help. Also, it would be great if you could film a short video showing the app setup and the real error case.

Best regards, Victor.

Hi @Victor,

Sorry,
here is a short video of the Sign Up Error:

And here is the click action of the sign up button:

Please let me know if you need anything else to diagnose the problem. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Florian

Hi @Florian,

This becomes interesting :slight_smile:
Would it be possible for you to share the app (make it cloneable) so that I could clone it and have a look?

Best,
Victor.

Hi,

Here’s the link:
https://previewer.adalo.com/839e053b-4e21-4f2f-949e-e082da981da8

Best regards,
Florian

Hi @Florian,

As I see, you’ve renamed the field “Email” (original name) to the field “First name”.
But from Adalo backend perspective this field has remained an “email” field, which is checked for uniqueness.
So you get a result that if you have “John Doe” account, “John Smith” couldn’t be registered.

I would suggest return back the “Email” name to the original field, and create another extra fields to store First name and Last name.

Also, it is a good practice to ask user email upon signup, as it is the only field checked for uniqueness automatically. As a consequence, user can be uniquely identified by the value in “email” field. And you will need this in the app.

Best regards, Victor.

That’s it! Thank you so much! It works now.

Best Regards,
Florian

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry, just one follow-up question: How could I then also make the Username and Phone Number unique? Would that only be possible in a “nomal” form and not a custom-made one?

Best regards,
Florian

Hi @Florian,

There is no built-in ways in Adalo to check the uniqueness of the value of some Collection property. You need to implement the checks by yourself.
I did a tutorial some time ago: Adalo hints: how to prevent from creating duplicate records in the collection (UPDATED with 2nd video)

Best regards, Victor.

Okay, thank you very much!

1 Like