I know this is a known and acknowledged issue by both app builders and Adalo staff, but I want to ensure the conversation continues and this bug isn’t one that gets overlooked and lowered within the priority list. So far, I’ve enjoyed my Adalo experience. I think it’s a great platform for no-coders, with a simple yet robust design structure. After building an app using a free account, I finally got to my 49th row of data. Feeling good about what I was building so far, I didn’t hesitate to upgrade to a Pro account to continuing building my app. But once I uploaded a test version to Google Console and downloaded to my phone, I noticed my bottom tab bar was about half and inch higher on the screen than it should have been…but it wasn’t just the bottom tab bar. All pages and content essentially shifted up, and even the top bars and icons were spilling into the phone’s status bar. I searched to see if anyone else experienced the same thing and if a solution was found. To my amazement, I saw that this page shift bug is something that’s been an issue for more than a year now.
From what I can tell, there has been no solution, besides choosing the hide the status bar within EDIT STYLES. Unfortunately, that goes against Apple’s compliance. Other people have suggested to purposely design top and bottom bars lower to compensate. That too is not a good solution, since the bug doesn’t seem to affect ALL phones. Phones that would have otherwise been showing the bars properly would then be showing them lower than expected. There have also been advice to simple stick to side menus or floating menus that trigger when pressing an action button…again, those solutions aren’t acceptable either. I shouldn’t have to sacrifice critical, desired design elements because of a bug. And as a paying customer, I shouldn’t have to be tied down by what I consider to be a dealbreaker. Had I been privy to this bug before committing to a Pro account, I don’t think I would have gone through with paying for a subscription. Now I’m faced with three decisions:
- Continue designing my app as I initially desired, knowing I can’t publish it in this current state until a proper solution is implemented
- Change features/key functions within my app and go strictly with a side menu, though I’d still have to deal with top content shifting into a phone’s status bar or
- Just stop everything for the time being and hope that this issue is a main concern of the team and will be addressed soon.
I’m honestly not sure what I will do now. I’ve been happily designing my app every day for a while now. Today was the first time I just didn’t work on anything within the app and that’s truly disheartening. With all that said, I trust the Adalo team. I have no idea how difficult it is the build platforms like this, and I’m sure it’s not an easy task to debug all issues, especially if a root cause isn’t identified. On top of that, I know the team has a strategic priority list of things they want to implement and accomplish…I just hope that this issue is high up on that list.