Scaling Up: Prioritizing Performance on Adalo

An update was posted on the performance page two days ago:

This new thread is a nice read too with some nice tips and insights:

5 Likes

Commercially can not launch adalo apps.
I made whole app but could not use it because of its performance

Could it be the country you are in or the way you are going about with displaying collections?

If you were to take the actions and precautions of actually designing the app with performance in mind?

Best

Jordna

Yes.
I constructed app with 2 different structure of database.
Added every page and process after checking it’s performance.

Bottom navigation bar click
Few icons true false reactions.
Auto value calculation in data.
3-4 back data insert on one button are very small and those also having issue.

I have made my app few months before and introduced on android and iOS both.
But can’t sale it

Totally disagree. One of my apps is in production for over a year now, with good performance. We are located in Brazil and got about 1.9k paid users by now.
In the end, it really comes down to the architecture you make and how you structure your collections. Adalo is just the tool, you still need to know how things really work behind the scene to get the most out of it.!

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 15.41.05|455x382

8 Likes

Completely agree with @brunoribeiro . I see a lot of people posting general complaints like “Adalo apps are slow” because they were expecting Adalo to do some kind of magic and make whatever you put in it work fine. It is just a tool, the same way Excel is a tool with which you can either make great files or just a really sh*tty set of numbers that are useless.

3 Likes

Complementing what @brunoribeiro and @afonso said, in my opinion, Adalo currently focuses on consumer apps, not requiring a very large data listing. For that he is the best. However, if the focus is on internal tools, there are other options that are better at the moment.

1 Like

Other no code tools such as Bubble also suffers performance. But since they expose more settings and lots of different ways which can easily escalate to more complexity, some people find their own ways to achieve more tolerable delays and find peace with that.

There is a guide for optimizing performance which one of them can be separating the process to multiple steps and knowing which processes are expensive and use local storage as much as possible (this is not yet available here).

More options to us as builders are always preferable if we want to tune up the performance ourselves.

4 Likes

Hello All

It is great to see that there are cases where people turn what is currently available into a gold. I fully agree that even a low-code or no-code developer needs to have a feeling how to avoid excessive processing in the frontend and backend.

However
 :slight_smile:

To provide some background, I’ve spent last 15 years implementing enterprise networks with focus on quality of service and recently application performance monitoring.

From what I currently experience in the Adalo backend is an extreme variety in response times when making API calls. That is something very bad for the user experience. If an operation, such as “log in” takes one day 200ms and the other 2000ms, it is (psychologically) more annoying than having a constant 1000ms delay.

I have recently replicated my app outside of Adalo in React Native, experimenting with different backends such as Supabase, Xano, Backendless and many others (I still consider my project rather a fun and learning than a future business :slight_smile:). Remember that there is NO performance upgrade when using external collection as the requests get proxied through the Adalo’s backend anyway (due to some plans in the future). The only upgrade we can get is with nested database requests (essentially making one request, gathering child relationships data as well), instead of more. My response times when avoiding Adalo’s backend have been, depending on the region, around 15-150ms compared to Adalo’s 300-1500ms. I am concerned about these >1000ms spikes as they are specific to Adalo’s backend and it never happens elsewhere

Today, in my humble opinion (that nobody asked for :smiley:) Adalo is still “on leash”, with significant performance penalties. Especially when they are using technologies that are capable of doing much much better. I don’t know whether it is Heroku, or database connection pooling, or synchronous waiting until their analytics / performance monitoring calls get completed, but there is something wrong going on
 The current response times are not comparable to any modern application in 2021. Users choose fast and beautiful apps, not vice versa. With 5G for mobile and 10Gbit (yes 10, not 1) standards at home becoming popular, the urgency to not stay behind is even higher.

But this is ok, it’s our critics and will to provide this feedback. The worse the better :smiley: I love to see @adalojosh and others from Adalo truly listening to these and taking actions.

Adalo is fantastic (if there is a word in English “greater than fantastic”, it is that) and I believe that when the performance gets sort out (lower response times and better consistency), nothing will stop it from multiplying their customers by factors of 10!

PS: Should you need more information I am always glad to help :slight_smile:

Go Adalo!

Cheers
Miro

12 Likes

With data load, I am suffering bottoms navigation clicks or like dislike button functions.
It should not take time and even when I gave app to adalo for giving feedback, they agreed for the slow performance.

How that clicks takes time to respond.

1 Like

Very interesting! Can you show me the app because I want to use it as a reference? Can I download it from the Japanese app store?

That’s an excellent news guys. We know that this type of experience helps to find the key points that needs to be addressed asap.

The end result is that Adalo is getting stronger and ready to perform up to the level of our client’s expectations.

We trust your product and we hope that we can achieve many projects together.

I am absolutely greatful for all your replies, as it has given me confidence to proceed my project in adalo.

Although i do see i will be facing some performance difficulties at the point of stress testing. I will try my best, keep asking for additional support and hopefully share my experience on the used approach.

I believe that this type of project, in order to succeed
 we need to face the fact that every feature and every process needs as much attention as any coded application. Disregarding the fact that a nocode application is a means for rapid development. I will share my thoughts as the project heads closer to completion.

Thanks you all for making this post an actual discussion of what is expected in a platform like Adalo, and for sharing experiences that could help many people from here-on.

:call_me_hand:

For more opinions and examples of real apps checkout this post: Performance updates - Help - Adalo

2 Likes

Hello

Is there any update at all w.r.t performance improvements from Adalo? We haven’t heard from you since October 19th.

@adalojosh Is there any update at all w.r.t performance improvements from Adalo? We haven’t heard from you since October 19th.

1 Like

I’ve been investigating this extensively (in my spare time) and despite contrary belief that this is a data access problem from the servers, it is actually, from my narrow research, a component life cycle management issue. If you wish to assist my research, can you send me your app(s) preview url? If you need an NDA signed prior to it feel free to send that over. I hope to solve this for the community soon and the more information I have, the better the results will be.

8 Likes

Hi, thank you for your effort. This is the link to one of my apps. Especially the chat function is very slow. It would be very cool if you could find a way to speed the performance up.
Nachhilfebörse 2 (adalo.com)

Sorry I had a bug in the app, everything works now :smiley:

Agree
Appsheet, Glide.

1 Like

I released my app society in play store, and discontinued because of this performance issue. really it wasted my time building the application. I feel, until we get a proper improvements, we should not try for huge complex apps.

3 Likes