Bulk operations and Timer Tricks, part 3: mass update for the records

Please see another trick which could be done with the help of countdown timer: mass update for records in the collection. This could be useful when you want to change the value of one property for all/some of the records, and don’t want to do it one-by-one.

The example is pretty simple, but the same logic could be applied to more different cases. Enjoy!

10 Likes

This is my favourite way to use the countdown timer.

1 Like

Victor, I am trying to use a timer to rotate names on a list, so when 30 minutes is up the top name will move to the bottom and the 2nd name moves to the top of the list. Do you think this is possible?

Hi @Drearystate,

I’ve seen your other post reg. this topic.
I don’t think that using countdown timer is a good idea for that; the timer is not app-wide, but is linked to a particular user session.
I will reply on the other topic not to mix the subjets :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Victor

1 Like

I saw a video where it is triggered app wide

1 Like

Hi @Drearystate,

Could you please share the link to this video, this would be very interesting to see and understand how it works.

According to my knowledge, countdown timer works in the context of the user session. Upon completion it could change various properties, including those in different collections (and of course this will affect the whole app).

But according to my understanding, there is no way how a single countdown timer can be used app-wide.

Best regards, Victor.

1 Like

Hi @Victor - thanks for this! Very very useful!

I’m using it to do a mass update (add the logged in user to the record) of a collection but it seems to have a maximum of some few hundred records before it stops, regardless of what timer setting I use. Any suggestions on how to get past that? I need to update about 2000 records…

1 Like

Thanks always @Victor for your great vids, you and the other genius @pford would make one heck of an A team. You should collab someday and create a coaching school for your fans🏆

1 Like

I agree, an app-wide timer would be powerful… wish it were possible

1 Like

Hi @speakupboy,

To be honest, I didn’t expect such usage pattern when I was creating this :joy:
And as for me, it is not the best idea trying to update 2K+ records with the countdown timer. The operation is performed on a client, so you might hit some browser or other limits…

There is an option to bulk update the collection records with external services, for example, Integromat. I might make a short video on this soon.

Best,
Victor.

1 Like

Thank you @sasha for your kind words!
Sounds like a good idea :wink:

Best,
Victor

Hi @Victor.
Is there a solution to bulk update a record that is a relation between 2 databases (not necessarily users), e.g. all the items are related to a specific item in another DB?
Thank you.

Hi @ionutilie,

Could you please provide an example?
I don’t see any problems in your case, but I might be missing something.

Best regards, Victor.

Thank you @Victor for your reply.
The idea was to update a relation between the items from 2 different DB. Maybe it is an error on my side from the start…
But anyway, I have received this info Trick: Bulk update records - #3 by kicsijohn and I try now to apply it.
If I will need more support, allow me to come back after the test.
Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Victor.
I am not having the right results.

I have made this video Update list - YouTube (where there are countries and entities and each entity belongs to one country. I try to update and create the result of all the entities to the same country).
Could you, please, tell me what am I doing wrong?

As I try to update data inside DB, there is no problem. But I don’t get the update for the relationship.
Thank you.

Hi @ionutilie,

Apologies for the late reply
Unfortunately, the video is without any sound :frowning:

Did you manage to solve the problem?

Best,
Victor

1 Like

Thank you @Victor !
Yes, I have no more this problem.
There are new ones now, :grinning: but I enjoy discovering Adalo.

1 Like